Monday, January 11, 2010

Making the decision

I've been thinking about quitting smoking for awhile now, and even more seriously in the last couple of months. I wanted to start a blog to track my journey on the road to smoke-free. I've finally decided that there is no better time than the present to make changes, and this is one of the things I need to do. I hate to admit it, but the thought of life without cigarettes scares me a little. I know I am going to need more than just my own willpower to get through this, and I am going to take Chantix to help, along with the support of my friends and family. I've never tried to stop smoking before, and I am kind of nervous. I've decided to approach it as a trial period, to see what life without cigarettes is like, without the pressure of trying to make this a permanent life change. Hopefully, it will only take once, and I will remain an ex-smoker for life, but I will not beat myself up if it takes me a couple of tries.

So this is where my story begins I guess. I started Weight Watchers in November, and that has been going pretty well. I've been doing a good job of tracking everything I eat and drink. Some people think that it's a bad idea to try to quit smoking and lose weight at the same time, but I think they go hand in hand. I think it will be easier for me to motivate myself to get to the gym, and I think getting to the gym will keep me from smoking. I think it will be easiest to change all three things (eating, exercise and smoking) all at once.

So here goes! I'm filled the Chantix prescription tonight, and will start taking it tomorrow morning. I will try to post daily, or every couple of days, with my triumphs and setbacks, feelings and concerns. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on taking a huge first step!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do this. As an ex-smoker I must say life is wonderful without it!! If you need anything let me know. Yes you can quit and lose weight at the same time, why not, is it against physics?

    ReplyDelete